Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
January 23, 2018, 10:26:38 PM

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing a Car Stereo  (Read 997 times)
Simon

« on: October 23, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »

Stuff i already had:

Speakers (fitted).
Speaker cable (fitted).
Stereo Head Unit (4*45W Peak).
A female 5amp Bullet connector on the end of the ACC power from the cigarette lighter.
An earth cable with no connector on the end from the cigarette lighter.
AA battery.

Stuff i needed:

Universal ISO Plug set
Multimeter
Crimpers

5Amp Bullet Male Connector
5Amp Bullet Female Connector
15Amp Ring Connector
Microblade Inline Fuse Holder
10Amp Microblade Fuse
17Amp Cable (4 metres)
10Amp Speaker Connector

At every point i checker the connections with the Multimeter to make sure the connections were sound.

Speakers:

I trimmed back the wires and stripped them. Then i used the AA battery on them, looking for the speakers to move out. When they did i knew that the wire on the positive on the battery was the positive wire.
Then i got the speakers part of the ISO connector and the speaker cables and wired them into the 10Amp Speaker Connector.

Fuse:

I stripped the cables on both ends of the inline fuse, and put the fuse into it.
I then crimped one end with a female 5amp bullet, and the other with the 15amp ring. I then attached the 15amp ring round the positive of the battery.
This fuse section happily sits in the batter compartment.

Cables:

I stripped both ends of the 17amp cable, crimping a male 5amp bullet to one end. This plugs into the fuse.
I then fed the cable through the hole in the battery compartment and ran it along the underside of the van up through the passengers side engine lid, then under the floor mat up to behind the steering column. (It is probably best to run it all the way to the front of the van and then up through the holes behind the steering column, but i was being lazy.)
Feed this cable up to behind the DIN slot in the dashboard. Crimp a female 5amp bullet onto the end.

Crimp all the relevant cables on the power part of the ISO connector with male 5amp bullets.

Connections:

I took my earth and switched off cables already in my car that come from the back of the cigarette lighter. Then i crimped the with female 5amp bullets.
Then i connected all the cables up, rewired up the battery and that was it. Done.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:43:12 PM by Simon » Logged

1991 -  H Reg.
Jamesbrumb

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »

i needed to revive this post as im fitting heated seat elements in my mk2 zs
the connectors on the elements are diffrent to the ones on the car
so i am fitting some more connectors on
i need a picture of some already connected in the car to see which way round the wires go

anyone help me

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: