Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
September 21, 2017, 08:22:22 PM

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1989 Bedford Rascal Camper, new Mot, but a few issues...  (Read 201 times)
SoggyDog

« on: June 08, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »

I’m afraid to say that the time has finally come for me to move on my little Rascal.

It’s a white 1989 Danbury Camper Conversion which I bought in September 2010.  I’ve had great use out of it, touring round most of Scotland, northern England, and the north of Ireland,  It’s a standard van shape, two ring cooker, grill and sink (pump doesn’t work – but that’s the least of my worries).  The mileage is 76,500 and is in Edinburgh.

It has just passed its mot (in May 17), but there are some “issues” so it might suit someone who has a lot more mechanical know how, as I have no confidence in my own ability to keep it going.

1              The rust is definitely starting to take hold.  Severe corrosion of the wheel arch sills.  Rust visible round most joints

2              When I’m at low revs I need to pull the choke out to stop the engine stalling.  I’ve had the carb cleared a couple of times but it comes back quickly.

3              I returned from a trip round the north of Scotland last weekend.  From time to time it made a “phutting” sound as I took my foot off the gas after going full throttle.

4              For the first time the temperature gauge went beyond a third and hit the right hand side.  I’d checked and topped up the coolant mix in the expansion tank, but not the radiator itself.  I filled up both tanks with coolant and water (2.5 litres worth in total) and Radweld in the radiator, and it got me the 196 miles back from Findhorn via Aberfeldy to Edinburgh.  I’ve never taken the top off the radiator before, just filled the expansion tank so this was probably my fault, or maybe a leak?

5              There is a big dent in the passenger side rear door after it ran over its own wheel five years ago.  It’s a long story…

Anyway, if anyone knows anyone who might be interested, please let me know.  Any offer could well be considered.  I’d much prefer it went to someone who could make use of it.

Thanks for all your help over the years, especially Dellboy, Rascalvan and Vandrederic.

Cheers

Soggy Dog

Soggy Dog
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: