Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
January 22, 2018, 05:07:06 AM

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Always been (mostly) reliable.. now wont start! Help!  (Read 410 times)
becky86

« on: January 03, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »

Recently my little rascal has had an intermittent starting problem (usual started fine from warm but not from cold). It started struggling to start up in a morning but a few pumps on the accelerator would usually get it going, got a little worse so we changed the spark plugs which seemed to make it run more smoothly for approx 2 days! The past month its begun to be more difficult to start either having to make sure we start it everyday or if it its been left over the weekend (I use it Mon-Fri for work) its needed a jump start which usually works. Then comes our New Year camp and we're seeing new years day off by being push started by the whole campsite (lets face it, it doesn't take THAT many people to push a Bedford Rascal I think they just wanted in on the fun) anyway after getting a really fast push it eventually jumped into life but once we got home we tried to start it again this morning with no luck... we've tried jump starting and have tested the battery (it was new this year anyway) any help appreciated as we cant really afford to take it to the garage.. my partner is usually quite good in replacing bits.

Usually it would at least turn over but its not even making a sound now when we turn the key (apart from the fuel pump ticking over). It has  an old immobiliser which we through might be at fault but as the fuel tank only ticks over when the immobiliser is in we think that that must be working.

Could it be an issue with the coil or resistor that need replacing? We recently put an electronic ignition in so not sure whether to remove that, although it initially made it run better. It the fact that it doesn't even make a sound when I turn the key that's bothering me..

Any help appreciated! I need my little van back on the road!

Many Thanks, Becca Smiley
donut

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:00:54 PM »

Check that the earth strap to the engine is ok and that it has not corroded off.
Donk's Dad

Sadly no longer A Bambi Owner

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »

If you havnt flattened the battery tring to start it, try rolling it backwads and forwards ,,, if you cant push it the starter could be jamed in.

If it is, put it it 2nd gear and push it backwards and forwards quite roughly as this can make the starter jump back out of being stuck.

if this was stuck try the ignition again and it may turn over

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »

I assume you mean it won't turn over quickly enough?

If so
These means battery, or terminals, earth strap, sticking starter....
Id be inclined to check voltage on ignition at battery.
If replace earth strap (few quid) - although you can rule this out by putting a jump lead on the starter connection from the ground I believe.
Give the starter a wack on start up.

Start up procedure on mine was
Waiting for fuel pump to stop ticking.
Pump accererator three times
Pull out choke and start

If there is any air in the fuel lines starting will be difficult...made worse at cold as the float refills on the carb.
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »

I spent ages faffing on mine but it was the earth strap.
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »

nb taking the starter out is very easy through the hatch and you can clean everything up. i think dell says not to put lubricant on the bit that fits into the gearbox just polish the metal till it shines.

If you could tell us the exact sypmtoms that would be helpful
becky86

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »

Its not turning over at all.. like it doesn't make a sound at all or do anything when you turn the key!

All suggestions are much appreciate, we're going to try them out at the weekend when we've got a full day at it.
Donk's Dad

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:49:24 PM »

Do all the lights still work ?  Is Full Beam as bright as it ever was ?

if the above is no it Sounds like you have flattened the battery.

Try using jump leads off of another vehicle.

Donk's Dad !
becky86

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »

We've tried jump starting it and have tested the battery which is fine ( it's quite new)

The turning key and absolutely nothing happening has been intermittent for a while but usually it would just kick into life after a few goes but it's not having any of it now  Huh
Donk's Dad

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »

Check the ignition wire going to the starter motor. The smaller one not the big thick one, as I had a similar problem on my 1.3 carry !

Sometimes it would start other times absolutly nothing.  On the 1.3 its a spade conector on the stsrter motor and the wire had broken right behing this, so i shortend the wire by about an 1" (25mm) and fitted a new Spade Connector and the trouble was sorted !

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »

Yes I've read that as an issue before. It's a very thin wire isn't it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: