Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
January 23, 2018, 05:15:37 PM

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lessons, lessons...  (Read 765 times)
Llywelyn1984

« on: April 11, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »

Yesterday i set about changing the front brake pads on my new 05 volvo s40.  The pads had been very low for some time and had recently started squeeking.  As they are essentially ford brakes, which ive done 2-3 times before, i was confident they job would be straight forward.

My first mistake was not starting the job first thing in the morning.  Instead i chose to have a potter and hem my new cricket whites (im a modern man after all).

I dont have a low profile jack (swmbo listening - birthday soon?), the wheel nuts were all tighter than george osborne's budget, and the wheel took some kicking to get off .  After all this i was tiring 
Anyway on i continued.  Or so i thought, until it was time for the old 7mm allen for the slide pin bolt.  i got my usual torq 45 out and tried to get it undone.  No luck.  The thread was slipping but eventually both came free.  Spring clip off, pads out, grease on slide pins siliconed, cleaned and one side done.  Onto the other side, and the lower slide caliper pin was stuck, my torq bit had had it.  No worries says llywelyn, ill get my 12volt impact wrench out, and promptly stripped the torq bit to death.  Ahh says wise llywelyn ill get my Irwin bolt extractor out - It worked a treat, although it was fun getting the pin back on! i changed the pads promptly, and put it all back together.

drive down the road to a terrible squeel...errr maybe they need to be bed in - I parked up in the drive and went to bed not thinking anything of it. 

The next morning i looked at the disc on the one side and there was a gouge in the disc.  oh dear.  Bought new discs todya, (went in the rascal) and set about fitting them.  When i took the caliper apart my mistake was obvious.  In my haste with worrying about the slide pin id put the outside pad on the wrong way round!  I couldnt believe it! How did i do that?? What a mistake. 

So the moral of the story is - concentrate on the main parts - dont get side tracked.  Oh and buy the 7mm allen before starting the job, proved much easier today with that.   
Scousebil

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »

Ha! Been in similar situations many a time - usually need a new part / tool on a Sunday afternoon around 4 o clock when everywhere is shut! The loneliest place in the world has to be when you're standing looking at your wife's car in bits without a f'in clue how to fix it and she needs it first thing in the morning and it's already going dark ...I always manage to get there in the end and I ALWAYS say I'll never start a job again with a hangover on a Sunday afternoon  ... till next time that is  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: