Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
September 21, 2017, 08:27:18 PM

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bambi Club rules !!  (Read 1867 times)
Rascalvan10
True rascal enthusiast

« on: August 14, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »

Just been reading on the bambi Owners Club about a rally where a NON Bambi owner turned up and was turned away from the rally.
I know all about the Bambi club and it's rules. If you have a Bedford Rascal camper rather than a Bambi, why not form your own club.
There are still plenty of Rascal Based campers out there and I am always being asked about a club.
Anyone with either a Bedford Rascal or Suzuki Supercarry should be able to join and I feel you would have a happy club.
I have several Nipper Customers, along with Romahomes and Danbury pop-up roof ones.
Don't argue with Bambi Club rules, instead form your own little club and I will put a link on my website for you.
Anyone interested ??
Regards Tim

www.bedfordrascal.com  and www.smallcampervan.co.uk
Small camper conversions and repairs.
Online photo album at :
https://picasaweb.google.com/106526935125883283147
joe813

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »

well said tim,hope all goes well Smiley
Rascalvan10
True rascal enthusiast

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:49:38 PM »

sorry if you misunderstood me, but I am not able to set up a club, but just a thought for someone who can.
I would pass on details of the club though my website though.
I have met and look after quite a number of rascal owners and most are very friendly , but it is a shame that there isn't a club for Rascal camper owners .
Regards Tim

Online photo album at :
linloo

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »

Hi Tim
I was actually there on my first & last Bambi rally I'm afraid with 2 other new Bambi members who feel the same & we thought that Andrew had moved from our end because the other 2 new members I hooked up with had brought their children & and grandchildren ( which I hasten to add don't think they really wanted the children there either ? As that was a first for them too ) but we were sadden to find out from another member what had happened to Andrew & his friend. Even the older member who told us agreed things need to change . One of the new members I hooked up with wrote on the forum re The treatment of Andrew & the rules of the club but I see his comments are gone you are right they won't change there ways now and won't have you write about their rules  It's such a shame we could all have a lovely gathering & swap ideas & talk about each other's different vans !
So I look forward to hearing if anyone  does set up a small van rally in the south west etc
Linloo
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:16:58 AM by linloo » Logged
lil nipper

Our Lilly

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »

How come they were turned away, coz they had non Bambi vans?
When I first got mine I (like others) needed advice regarding the vehicle but I was unaware how hard the rivalary is between Bambi and other similar vans,(sorry ill rephrase that) how clique they are .I tried to join the group but  was refused as soon as they found out I had a Nipper,,,,,and to be fair at the time I couldn't tell the difference between the 2 (which isn't that much apart from being slightly bigger and the seating arrangement to TBH)If I had a bit more time I would love to create a group bud sadly I've too many projects going on at the mo.
Rick

linloo

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »

Yes Rick just because he had a Romahome but he was told when bought it it was a Bambi & he clearly didn't no difference either & he had paid up & joined the Bambi club not knowing.
Linloo
Cuthbert

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:37:03 AM »

It's for that single reason that i have never joined the Bambi Owners Club. I realise the title says it all but the committee should realise they are supposed to run the club for the members not as dictators, they will not allow any discussion regarding rule changes etc. I have been in many car and motorcycle clubs and never heard of excluding any enthusiast, they may be future owners after all. As for throwing someone off the rally site that's just disgraceful.

1988 / Bedford Bambi / a.k.a. ELMO
joe813

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:04:02 AM »

linloo,I have just looked on the bambi site and the discussion is still there??
they have had this subject brought up at a couple of their AGMs and the members voted it out,
so don't blame things on the management .
Rascalvan10
True rascal enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

Yes I agree, the comments about the club have been removed, so it seems only good comments are allowed !!.
I used to advertise in the club magazine and at one point had seen over 100 different Bambis in my workshop.
I looked after the then chairman's vehicle for over 15 years ( John Page) and had many discussions with him about the "Bambi only" rule, but it seems that they want to stick to this rule, which is their choice. I mention it because we, as a business, have met many other Rascal and Supercarry based camper owners and some of them have asked is there a club.
Why not simply stay with the Rascal enthusiasts club and arrange meetings and rallies on here ??
You will already have a website, to which there is a link from my website, so easy for future owners to join etc.
I am sure if you ask Van he will be happy to allow this .
You could also inc rascal van owners who use a tent.
There are still some lovely well looked after vans and campers out there, so to me it seems we need  events to show them off !!.
I can't offer any technical help on the Bambi owners club site, but i do on here.
Also you have Dellboy ( Derek) on here too and he has as much experience on the rascals as I do, if not more !!.
I look forward to seeing the Rascalenthusiasts camping club  side of the club starting up .
If this doesn't work, I was told the other day that at a recent rally by the "Classic Campervan club" that there were no Rascal based campers there, so that would be an alternative and very friendly club to join too.
Best Wishes
Tim

Online photo album at :
k12pfc

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »

I'm the person who questioned these rules, I've since rescinded my membership, I will never stand by and watch someone having an injustice done to them, I felt sorry for Andrew but more than that I felt embarrassed to be a member of a club that would do this.
duncanamps
True rascal enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »

That's a good suggestion Tim. There were a few meets from the people on this group 2-3 years ago but it seems to have gone quiet. It may be that people don't want the daunting task of arranging a meeting and the associated effort that goes into it. I served on the committee of the Bambi Owners Club for some years, as you know, and it gave me an insight into what a tough job the regional organisers have, just to make the rallies happen in the first place.

Here's an additional suggestion from me to make things happen a little less painfully.... There are people on this group with camper vans of various types who must be using them to camp in various places (or else why do you have one??!!) If you're going to a site for a few days, why not post in the meetings area? Other's in the locality, or even not so local, may wish to meet up at the site.

Of course, if you just want a private weekend to yourself and family, keep it quiet Smiley

I've just got to get the renovated fuel tank back on my van this morning, so it all goes well I will be booking a site for 30/31 August somewhere in the South East to give it a run out. I shall post the details in the Meetings area and will invite others to join if they so wish.

Any thoughts on this? Would others support this concept?

Duncan Munro | 1987 Bambi | www.sootyvan.com
Robin

cheese it!

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

So someone joined the "Bambi Owners Club" who didn't own a Bambi and was turned away?  Why the outcry? They didn't *own a Bambi*  I'm not a camper, but even I know the BOC are a rather strict bunch - this guy should have done his research before parting with any money.  They were told the Romahome was a Bambi??  Maybe if you squint with one eye they look the same.  Again, this guy should have done his research.  Bambi: coachbuilt camper on Rascarry chassis, prone to water ingress/rising damp  - v. - Romahome: demountable monocoque fibreglass pod on the back of a Rascarry pick-up.  Why would you want to join an owners club where you own something different to everyone else anyway?  Why does eveyone want to be an exception these days?

We have had a few Rascal Enthusiast outings, but finding a suitable site, and a date when people are available is always difficult (how big a site depends on how many people can make a date; is that site available on that date? etc)
 There are a couple of opportunities coming up in the 'Meetings' section, but I like the suggestion of 'inviting' people to join you - anyone want an ice cream on Portsdown Hill in a couple of weeks?  Smiley

Bonsai Bambi

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »

I must admit when I first got the idea of a Bambi I did my research and knew the difference between the variants, then a google search for Bambi owners brought up the club so I signed up to the forum to find out more. And the more I read the more I thought I don't want to have to join this club to find spares/info etc.. about the Bambi, playing Mr & Mrs and other 70's game show just don't flick any of my switches or even make me want to reach for the switch!  Roll Eyes so when I found this site I can't tell you how relived I was, the sharing of info/knowledge and just the atmosphere of the site say's what a great and varied bunch of people are here   Cool

As soon as I am on the road with a Bambi, I will certainly post up where I am going to be, (great idea Duncanamps) also it would be good to know where we/you are located in the country to make helping out or travelling to a mutually suitable camp site.  So for future reference I am in Bolton in Gods county of Lancashire.

Steve
linloo

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:55:46 PM »

Joe 813
I don't think you'll find I've blamed any management ? in what I've said above.
Some of my friends k12pfc's comments on that disscusion had been removed !
Cheers
Rascalvan10
True rascal enthusiast

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »

Hello Robin, I think it is a bit unfair to blame the chap for not being 100% sure he had a Bambi.
We get loads of phone calls every month from people wanting parts fro their 2003 / 04 CARRY, but calling it a Supercarry, even though it has CARRY written on it.
I have seen a few ads on E-bay calling a Bambi a Romahome.
I even had one customer who had a romahome and some clown had put Bambi stickers on it.
I agree about the research , but not everybody does it.
The bambi club could have been a lot more helpful, as the poor chap does have a similar vehicle.
Still hopefully if some meets now occur then all the "uproar" will have been productive.
Personally I don't think the Bambi Owners club is a true Enthusiasts club. I say this because from what I gather happens at the rallies is not really centered around the actual vehicle. More about a get together of owners of the same type of vehicle.
I think this enthusiasts club is more about running and repairing the rascals/supercarrys which is what it should be.
We can all share our repairs and modifications etc etc.
Good luck to all the meets etc.
Regards Tim

Online photo album at :
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: