Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
December 17, 2017, 08:58:25 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaf Springs to fit over the axle ?  (Read 2733 times)
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 04:20:46 PM »

Well the bambi is in the garage today - interesting affair; flat battery and then broke down on the way.

It seems quite a simple affair then - take all the sides off, hoik it up an inch or so and slot it on.  Of course nothing is ever that simple is it...for longevity it's got to be the way forwards....

I'd love to come and have a look, im based in Cardiff so it's quite a trek mind. 
Donk's Dad

Sadly no longer A Bambi Owner

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »

We did a 2 week tour of wales end of june begging of july ! ! !

The fixings on your set up will proberbly be aliminium clamps around the hinges that would have held the drop sides on, so when you raise the base up you will have to re-think that, but if you ae not planning to dismount the pod you could possibly just bolt right through.

I am changing the works box over to the camping pod again on the 17th September so i will get some photographs of the mounts and post them on here.

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »

That would be ace - id love to have a look - there is a diahatsui pickup on ebay at the moment for 1500.
Very tempting.  Apprently the floor is more towards the old rascal height - making some enquires with the diahustu owners club.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201427900667?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Im not planing on needing to take it off - so could just bolt straight through.

In fact the only part that seems to worry me is getting the thing off the bedford pickup.

nb. update on the rascal - garage said it was fixed - and it broke down 5 mins down the road.  Quite annoying as the chap claims to have worked on "loads of rascals". 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:20:41 PM by Llywelyn1984 » Logged
Donk's Dad

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »

Not sure of the differances between the various demountale pod had for the various vehicles but our's was origanaly built for a Dihatsu as the blanking panel for the window (hole) between the cab and the pod has "Dihatsu" molded into it.

Incidently, i filled that in and reduced the size of the opening to suit the rear window in the 1.3 Carry and then fitted a perspex window so its permanantly watertight when off of the Vehicle, which is quite often !

Donk's Dad !
Donk's Dad

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »

biggest problems with Rascals always seem to be the carb !

fitted a refurbished one to our Bambi that io bought from Dell Boy (on here) and it went like a rocket (as far as a rascal can go like that ?)

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »

thanks for all your help thus far...going to have a look at the ignition system then check all the fuel lines followed by carb etc.
I tried to get the engine cover panel off today inside the van whiist i source a condenser and points.  I managed to get the bolts out, but i couldnt slide it out.  Easier to work from inside the cosy van,
Have you ever had the cover off?

Donk's Dad

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 06:35:16 AM »

On the (3) Bambi's i have had the engine cover was a wooden panel (the same as the inside floor) with a 1/4 turn (buget) lock on each end.
Once these were opened the panal lifted up and out of the hole, but and gave access to the back of the engine and gearbox area.
But on my Romahome pod there is not a panel in that position, but its much further back (about 1/2 way down the vehicle) so as it was originaly on a Dhiatsu i dont know what would need to have access that far back ?

The main access to the engine on the Rascal / supercarry (base vehicle) is under the seats, with the carbs and distributor being (awkwardly) at the back and slightly under the floor, just to make things difficult ! ! !

Just read back through the posts and you mention changing the base your base vehicle to a Supercarry.
Its really confusing (as to why suzuki did it) but the older type (same as the Bedfird Rascal) was the Supercarry.
The Newer 1.3 modle is just a "Carry" 

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »

Thanks for all your help...im struggling with the position of the distributor...how you got the points in their ill never know...did you take the dizzy out?

Rascal van has suggested to raised off the base so i can take the hatch panel out (which is stuck in due to the pod being placed on top of it

Ive had a look at the bolts - see attached - do i undo the one in the middle or the two on the outside?
Then it's just a case of gently raising it up 6 inches. 

The two on outside look fairly new - ive blasted them with penetrating fluid...ive they wont turn ill get the panel out.
Donk's Dad

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 12:12:29 AM »

I think (but wait to be corrected) that the two aliminium plates held in place by the two bolts are just spacers, with the steel plate held on with the single bold being the attachment plate that hooks under the (dropside) hinge and holds the pond down!

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 06:41:56 PM »

thanks donkers! now ive had a look you are right....
managed to get all the bolts loose with some persuasion from my breaker bar...
now to work out the best way for jacking....hopefully tim will come up trumps on that front...

still might just cut through the hatch!! will decide on monday...
how you got the points in ill never know...unless you took out the dizzy.
That might be another solution....

gf ordered me in for tea...
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »

Successfully slid out the hatch....only had three jacks mind...
where are you supposed to jack up, by the mounting plates?
Donk's Dad

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »

There shoud be two steadies that wind down from underneath the lower "kitchen" section and a pant at the front on either side to inset the jacking legs.

I have taken more photo's of the way i have mounted my pod and will post them on here a soon as i get the chance.

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »

A pant and rear steadies? Cant say i can see any!
The van does wobbly about terribly when you are inside it.
Finally got van started this morning so im on the up.
Donk's Dad

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »

Once the securing plates are undone There should be two plates at the front that the jacking legs slip into and two steadies that jack down to support the Kitchen end.

Once these are jacked up the pickup can be drivem out from under the Pod

Donk's Dad !
Donk's Dad

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »

The Drop-sides catch removed to allow pod to sit tight against 1.3 carry cab

The way our pod is attached with custom securing bolts.

Donk's Dad !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: