Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
September 21, 2017, 08:25:07 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaf Springs to fit over the axle ?  (Read 2637 times)
Cuthbert

« on: August 13, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »

Hi again, has anyone converted their Rascal or Bambi so the Leaf Springs run over the top of the axle rather than slung under it. I imagine the ride hight would be better at the rear, they always look on their last legs. Does anyone know if it would change the sprung/unsprung weight?

1988 / Bedford Bambi / a.k.a. ELMO
lil nipper

Our Lilly

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »

Not sure about flipping the springs but I fitted some spring assisters on mine (£250.00 weren't cheap) and now it doesn't go round corners like a north Sea ferry, I personally wouldn't raise the ride height as I would of thought it would be a bit more unstable than normal.
Rick
Cuthbert

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »

As you know Bambis are a bit wobly, I live in Slough and the council seem to have the concession on speed bumps.  I also thought about motorbike style coil over damper-shocks, instead of just dampers, as well as the leaf springs, I might take some measurements and see what will fit.

1988 / Bedford Bambi / a.k.a. ELMO
Robin

cheese it!

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »

There was a guy on here, Noah1966 who did something with his Romahome rear suspension - it went like it was on rails

Have you tried searching for "spring" - there are a few Bambi(/Romahome) improvements mentioned
Donk's Dad

Sadly no longer A Bambi Owner

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »

I have had three Bambi's but now have a demountable oh the newer 1.3 Carry and all of them slump at the back so i fitted modified Suzuki Vitara Springs & Mounts to the back ! Makes one hell of a differance.
Wish i hasd thought of it for the Bambi's

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:35:08 PM »

How hard was it to fit the romahome demountable onto the suzuki?
Donk's Dad

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »

It was easy fitting the Romahome pod onto the suzuki Carry

The cab of the newer 1.3 carry is about 1" (25mm) higher than the original base vehicles i:e Honda Acti, Suzuki Super carry or the Dihatsu Hi Jet, so i raised the pick-up bed using 3/4" batterns and 1/4" marine ply.

The hooks for the drop sides of the pick-up, behind the cab had to be removed to allow the pod to slide on fully.

I then fitted mounting plates to the bed of the pick-up and the underside of the pod . (see diagramme)

I also have a lotun fibreglass box that interchanges with the camper pod and secures to the pick-up in the same way.

Now its takes about 1/2 hour to swap from box van to camper !

Donk's Dad !
Donk's Dad

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »

Photo's Now attached.....Doh  Shocked

Donk's Dad !
Donk's Dad

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »

The Work Pod needed four jacking legs, (two came with my romahome pod and another two i bought on ebay) so i had the same jacking plates made up as is on the camper pod.

I then had two longer jacking legs made up for the romahome pod as its easier to jack it up higher to get the 1.3 carry underneath now the suspention sits higher.

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »

Thanks! That's really interesting - so in theory it's really easy?
Of course nothing is easy where Mr Rascal is involved.
Donk's Dad

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »

If its a Rascal (Super carry) then its proberbly a stright fit with no need to lift 1" or use the plates i used to attach it.

I put mine on the newer 1.3 Carry (05 plate ,,, sometimes called the sotty van !) although mine's a pick up !

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »

No current vehicle is a  rascal; new vehicle would be 1.3 supercarry
Donk's Dad

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »

Measur from the flat bed to the top of the cab on the rascal and i can tell you the height of the 1.3 carry

Donk's Dad !
Llywelyn1984

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »

Hi;

sorry for the delay -
ive measured it roughly tonight and its about 106.5 cm - this isnt exact - but is within a cm i believe
be interested to hear. ive never tried to take the pod off.  It has no demountable legs so id have to improvise.
Donk's Dad

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 07:38:52 PM »

Just measured it and the 1.3 is around 110cm at the side of the cab, but the  roof has reinforcing ridges pressed into it and curves upwards towards the centre of the vehicle raising the cab roof by about 25mm.  so the overall height from the flat bed to the roof is 135cm

The Camping pod from the underside to under the luton is around 105cm.

Where are you located, I am near Dover.  If you live close you could come and see to get a proper idea.

Donk's Dad !
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: